St Andrews United hosted Ormiston for the first time in 2021 but kick off was delayed by ten minutes due to the visitors’ late arrival at The Clayton Caravan Park Recreation Ground.  The home team consequently started the match strongly despite dreadfully wet conditions and Jake Grady shot narrowly wide following a terrific run by Lewis Sawers.  

Ross Cunningham then set Sawers free in the fifth minute yet the winger curled his shot beyond the far post as the Ormiston defence appealed for offside.  Matty Hutchison was next to try his luck as he cut in front the right wing but the visitors briefly came to life thereafter because Kyle Moran was forced into producing a fabulous save at full stretch from a powerful shot by Anes Subasic. 

Moran also spilled a long-range effort before hastily collecting the loose ball and Marc Scott headed a corner just past the post in the 35th minute.  However, St Andrews United grabbed the lead moments later when Fraser Anderson made decent contact with a cross from Hutchison and the goalkeeper could only push the ball into the path of the onrushing Sawers.  Anderson subsequently made the score 2-0 when he beat the offside trap, thanks to an exceptionally deep lying defender, before pinning his ears back in a race towards goal. 

The ginger haired midfielder known as ‘Scholesy’ thought about crossing to the unmarked Sawers as he neared the touchline yet he somehow squeezed the ball inside the far post from a very tight angle.  Ormiston then dominated proceedings for a short spell at the start of the second half because the away players were shooting downhill but Moran was not really tested as the rain finally began to ease off. 

The St Andrews United defence also looked steady, despite Stevie Livingstone’s absence due to further neck problems, and Saints moved further ahead on the hour-mark to kill the game as a contest.  Hutchison played a wonderful through ball to Sawers and the man of the match made no mistake with his finish to give Kieran Beveridge in the Ormiston goal no chance. 

Evan Stanfield then replaced the hard-working Grady and the substitute almost scored with his second touch, though he took too long to fire off a shot in the 68th minute.  The Ormiston boys were clearly tiring at that point and United’s Reece Redpath took full advantage to score a fourth goal by converting a well-weighted pass by Sawers. 

Substitute Adam Davidson went on to make the score 5-0 by slamming home a loose ball in the wake of a spilt Hutchison shot and Sawers rounded off a good day’s work by claiming a well-deserved hat trick.  Sawers raced on to a clever through ball from Cunningham and he calmly picked his spot in the 85th minute as St Andrews United won by six goals for the first time since October 2019.                     

You may also like

Back to Top